[Molvis-list] Jmol version Protein Explorer?

Eric Martz emartz at microbio.umass.edu
Mon Apr 16 21:52:13 EDT 2007

At 4/15/2007, Joan Slonczewski wrote:
> Has anyone seen an interface similar to Protein Explorer based on
> Jmol?
>
> Joan L. Slonczewski
> Kenyon College

Dear Joan,

To the best of my knowledge, the Jmol tool closest to Protein
Explorer is FirstGlance in Jmol (http://firstglance.jmol.org ) -- but
it lacks most of the help and much of the power of PE. Probably you
have seen the brief comparison at http://proteinexplorer.org

Since Feb 1, 2007, FirstGlance in Jmol has been used in 670 sessions/
week, while 580 PE sessions/week get into QuickViews. For the same
interval of last year, the numbers were 325/week and 600/week
respectively.

Jmol itself is evolving at an amazing pace (thanks recently largely
to Bob Hanson). It now has dozens of powerful capabilities lacking in
Chime, and more every week it seems. I am waiting a bit until Jmol's
capabilities have settled down before beginning to design and
implement a PE-Jmol. Eventually I do hope to do that, but it seems to
me a large project that will take several years to do well, and I
hope to apply for new funding first. So nothing that I know about is
in the offing near term. Meanwhile, anyone who wishes is free to
begin a port of PE to Jmol without me! (I'm happy to help people find
relevant portions of PE's javascript.)

Incidentally, the primary public FirstGlance in Jmol (version 1.0,
released early in 2006) still uses Jmol 10.2 because there are many
issues that need to be revisited in considerable detail, with the
javascript and help in FirstGlance being revised as needed, before I
can certify that FirstGlance will work "as advertised" with the
current Jmol version 11+. And the current Jmol offers many new
opportunities for FirstGlance.

Meanwhile FirstGlance in Jmol has been adapted to color a protein by
evolutionary conservation at the ConSurf server (http://
consurf.tau.ac.il).

Protein Explorer remains alive and well for now, working best in
Firefox on Windows. Intel Mac OSX users can run Windows on their OSX
desktop (using parallels.com), then run Protein Explorer much better
than in the old Mac Classic mode. Although not free, installation of
Windows into Parallels.Com Desktop for Mac is a breeze (automated by
Parallels).

Regards, -Eric

/* - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Eric Martz, Professor Emeritus, Dept Microbiology
U Mass, Amherst -- http://www.umass.edu/molvis/martz

Biochem 3D Education Resources http://MolviZ.org
See 3D Molecules, Install Nothing! - http://firstglance.jmol.org
Protein Explorer - 3D Visualization: http://proteinexplorer.org
Workshops: http://workshops.proteinexplorer.org
World Index of Molecular Visualization Resources: http://molvisindex.org
ConSurf - Find Conserved Patches in Proteins: http://consurf.tau.ac.il
Atlas of Macromolecules: http://atlas.proteinexplorer.org
PDB Lite Macromolecule Finder: http://pdblite.org
Molecular Visualization EMail List (molvis-list):