[Molvis-list] MollyCule: New Mac/Windows/Linux freeware molecular visualisation package for kids/students. http://mollycule.org

Graeme Bell mollymail2009 at mollycule.org
Thu Aug 20 16:34:56 EDT 2009

New free software:        MollyCule       http://mollycule.org

Dear list members,

I have provided a new molecular visualisation program for free
download and use.

The program is called "MollyCule".  You can read about it and download
it at:

     http://mollycule.org

MollyCule is designed for use by schoolchildren and students rather
than researchers, though it may be useful for lectures or poster
presentations.

It features an easy-to-use 'point and go' approach to viewing
molecules as well as many other features intended to make presentation
and visualisation straightforward and easy. Controls are designed to
be simple and intuitive; e.g. program parameters are kept onscreen at
all times, rather than accessed via program menus, and take the form
of sliders and buttons rather than text/numerical entries. This is
intended to encourage people to 'play around' with visualisation to
find the viewpoint they're looking for.

Within 2 mouse clicks, anyone can be flying along a real-time animated
3-D tour of a molecule, and taking photos of what they find along the
way - it's that simple.

MollyCule uses Java and Java3D, and packages are provided for MacOS,
Windows and Linux. If you use MacOS, you can run the program
immediately without installing any other software. If you use windows/
linux, please install Java and Java3D as the instructions indicate.

 From a programming perspective, MollyCule has a loosely coupled
reflective plugin system. This means that almost every aspect of the
program can be replaced or customised by anyone - even the GUI. New
features and plugins can be easily implemented and distributed
independently from the main program.

I hope you like MollyCule and find it useful. Please send me an email
if you have any thoughts or suggestions about the program. I will add
a user guide and programming guide to the site in the next month or two.

If you know of anyone else who might find this program interesting or
useful, I would be grateful if you could let them know about MollyCule
or forward this message to them. If you maintain a list of 3-D
molecular visualisation software, I would be very grateful if you
could consider adding a link to MollyCule within your page.

Thanks for your time, and have fun!

Graeme.

----
Graeme Bell