[Molvis-list] FirstGlance blocked in Snow Leopard

Eric Martz emartz at microbio.umass.edu
Thu Jan 31 15:05:19 EST 2013

FirstGlance in Jmol, Proteopedia, and all Jmol (java applet based)
web pages have been blocked as of today by Apple on OS X 10.6 Snow
Leopard due to vulnerabilities. This situation will be corrected
pending a java upgrade not yet released.

When you go to a Jmol-using web page in any web browser on Snow
Leopard, you see a small gray "Inactive plug-in" message. When you
click that, it runs Apple Software Update, which tells you that you
are already up to date -- there is nothing new (yet).

Here is confirmation
http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/2013/01/31/apple-blocks-java-on-macs-due-to-vulnerabilities/1880783/

There is a very technical method for re-enabling java, but apparently
you need to do that once a day as Apple will undo it periodically.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4761112?tstart=0

What is blocked are all java applets in Snow Leopard, where the
current java is 1.6.0_37.
I can still run the Jmol application in Snow Leopard.

I don't know about Leopard, Lion, or Mountain Lion -- I'd like
reports from people using those.

Also I can still run java applets/Jmol in Windows.

Eric

/* - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Eric Martz, Professor Emeritus, Dept Microbiology
U Mass, Amherst -- http://Martz.MolviZ.Org

Top Five 3D MolVis Technologies http://Top5.MolviZ.Org
FirstGlance, used by Nature - http://firstglance.jmol.org
3D Wiki with Scene-Authoring Tools http://Proteopedia.Org