[Molvis-list] FirstGlance in Jmol: Enhanced

Campbell, Malcolm macampbell at davidson.edu
Wed Apr 24 08:42:55 EDT 2013

Eric,
I appreciate all the effort you put into education. Thank you.

The one suggestion I would have has to do with Java. I have some Jmol pages that when the browser is not set up to view it, some text comes up that allows me to click on it and get the java running. On FirstGlance, I saw a yellow page that sent me to a new site and a few links later, I could turn it on. Then I came back to FirstGlance and it worked. I think there is a way to set up these pages so that once Java is enabled, it will always work. A colleague of mine told me how to do this for my Jmol tutorials, but I have not gone back to redo all my pages. Perhaps you already know what this is.

Anyway, I was able to play around with the tabs and got them to work.

Malcolm

On Apr 23, 2013, at 9:12 PM, Eric Martz wrote:

> I have today released a new version of FirstGlance in Jmol with many enhancements.
> http://firstglance.jmol.org as always.
>
> Formerly there was a single upper left control panel. Now there are 4 tabs in the control panel: Molecule (labeled with the PDB code), Views, Tools, and Resources.
>
> The Molecule tab is entirely new. It digests and summarizes a lot of information from the PDB file. Resolution and Free R are "graded" to assist those who are not structural biologists in interpreting them. Missing residues are reported chain by chain, including counts of charged residues that are missing.
>
> The initial view has been modified to include "empty baskets" in the regions where residues present in the crystal are missing in the model due to disorder. Thus you can no longer be unaware when there are missing residues.
>
> There is a clickable list of ligands and non-standard residues with their full names.
>
> The "Find" tool now supports finding sequences, e.g. sequence=rgd will highlight (and count) all Arg Gly Asp sequences present in all chains. Ditto for nucleotide sequences.
>
> The biological unit (quaternary structure) is more readily available and more help is provided.
>
> Former versions of FirstGlance reported no counts. This version reports counts of many things, including chains, amino acids, nucleotides (total and per chain), lengths of chains, missing residues, missing charged residues, numbers of each ligand/non-standard residue, disulfide bonds, and anything found with the "Find" tool.
>
> There are many new convenience features.
>
> A more complete list of enhancements is here:
> http://firstglance.jmol.org/versions.htm
>
> If you have suggestions for improvements, please do let me know!
>
> There are undoubtedly bugs. Please report anything that looks dubious, being sure to include the PDB code you were using.
>
> Eric
>
> P.S. I have not undertaken a JSmol version yet.
>
> /* - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
> Eric Martz, Professor Emeritus, Dept Microbiology
> U Mass, Amherst -- http://Martz.MolviZ.Org
>
> Top Five 3D MolVis Technologies http://Top5.MolviZ.Org
> FirstGlance, used by Nature - http://firstglance.jmol.org
> 3D Wiki with Scene-Authoring Tools http://Proteopedia.Org
> Biochem 3D Education Resources http://MolviZ.org
> ConSurf - Find Conserved Patches in Proteins: http://consurf.tau.ac.il
> Atlas of Macromolecules: http://atlas.molviz.org
> Interactive Molecules in Public Spaces http://MolecularPlayground.Org
> Workshops: http://workshops.molviz.org

A. Malcolm Campbell, Ph.D.
Professor of Biology
Director, James G. Martin Genomics Program
Davidson College
Founding Director of GCAT (www.bio.davidson.edu/GCAT )

Box 7118 (US Mail)
209 Ridge Road (shipping)