[Molvis-list] Windows 7 Fix for Jmol with Java 7 Update 65

Eric Martz emartz at microbio.umass.edu
Sat Jul 26 20:05:37 EDT 2014

After updating Java 7 to update 65 (the current update) we have seen
several Windows 7 systems where the Jmol java applet stopped working.
The Jmol area remains blank and Java fails to start. There are no
error messages.

Not every Windows 7 system did this. If you experience this problem,
I have explained two possible fixes here:

http://proteopedia.org/wiki/index.php/Installing_and_enabling_Java#Windows

The problem appears to be a bug in Oracle's update installer, which
fails to remove some traces of the previous version.

We have seen no problems in OS X or Windows XP.

This problem affects only the use of Jmol_S (signed Jmol applet, e.g.
one option in FirstGlance in Jmol) or older websites that still use
the unsigned Jmol Java applet.

The problem has no effect on JSmol, which does not require Java.

(Confused? See 'Jmol Has Four Forms',
http://proteopedia.org/wiki/index.php/Jmol#Jmol_Has_Four_Forms)

Sincerely, Eric

/* - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Eric Martz, Professor Emeritus, Dept Microbiology
U Mass, Amherst -- http://Martz.MolviZ.Org

Top Five 3D MolVis Technologies http://Top5.MolviZ.Org
FirstGlance: 3D Views in Nature - http://firstglance.jmol.org
3D Protein Wiki with Scene-Authoring Tools http://Proteopedia.Org