[Pipet Users] Re: Xirium | Tech | MUD-Shell

Nicolas Chauvat Nicolas.Chauvat at logilab.fr
Thu Mar 1 07:13:18 EST 2001

> > The implementation is nothing like NLI (it's pattern matching stuff), but
> > that's the way to go :-)
>
> From what I have read in various places, there are very few sophisticated
> NLI's.  Most simply look for verb and objects and then ignore everything
> else.  The effect is sentences like this:
>
>   "Today I think that I would like to take that box and put it on that shelf."
>
> Are exactly the same as "sentences" like this:
>
>   "box put (on) shelf"
>
> Think about it, when NLI was all the craze (for games like Zork), these
> programs were less than 256 kb.  They couldn't be very complex, but they sure
> *SEEMED* to understand what you typed.  It largely is a trick, but it works.

Sure. But if that's all it does, you don't get much and appear to do
stupid things. Depends on what degree of "understanding" you want to
exhibit.

> Do you think there is some way that Narval and Piper could share an NLI
> "engine"?

Yes, it may even be called www.alicebot.org :-) It's one of the best NLI
stuff available in free software I've seen so far. But I could dig other
things out of my bookmarks stack (ThoughtTreasure maybe, hmm... were was
that URL?)

--
Nicolas Chauvat

http://www.logilab.com - "Mais où est donc Ornicar ?" - LOGILAB, Paris (France)