From Bioinformatics.Org Wiki
Everyday bioinformatics is done with sequence search programs like BLAST, sequence analysis programs, like the EMBOSS and Staden packages, structure prediction programs like THREADER or PHD or molecular imaging/modelling programs like RasMol and WHAT IF.
Linux used in Bioinformatics
- BioPuppy - A Minimal Linux OS for Bioinformatics
- Open Discovery - An integrative bioinformatics linux distro with high performance computing capability
- Modeller- Used for homology or comparative modeling of protein three-dimensional structures
- AutoDock - Suite of Automated Docking Tools
- Gromacs- A molecular dynamics package primarily designed for biomolecular systems such as proteins and lipids