CS101F Linux for Biologists, Level 1
From Bioinformatics.Org Wiki
This course teaches biologists how to use the powerful Linux operating system to work with biological data.
No programming experience is needed, just a need to utilize Linux for biology.
- Session 1
- Fundamentals of the Linux OS - filesystem, access and basic commands; navigation of the filesystem and basic file operations – reading, writing, merging, copying and moving
- Session 2
- Setting permissions of files and directories; file manipulations using awk and sed, file redirection and piping, command line execution of various bioinformatics programs; exercise to demonstrate getting data and software from the internet and crunching through some real data generated from experiment; shell scripting basics and an example of a bioinformatics workflow implemented with unix shell programming
Homework assignments will involve running commands learned in the live lectures.
If you are interested in an upcoming course, register using instructions below. (Access to completed courses is available to enrolled students only, because of privacy and confidentiality issues.)
- Step 1
- If you haven't already done so, create an on-line account to access the educational section of our website. Please note that the registration for our educational system is separate from that of the main website; you will require another account.
- Step 2
- Register for the course by making a payment using either the on-line registration form (click on the name of the course where it appears in the list of upcoming courses; use this form only for PayPal payments and credit card payments via secured PayPal), or by sending in the registration form (PDF; use this form if paying by US checks, credit card or corporate purchase order).
Please also check the course tuition rates and discounts.
Registration deadline: When full
Tuition & discounts
- Live instruction held on-line
- For-profit & government: $400 USD
- Non-profit & self-pay: $200 USD
- Live instruction held on-site
- For-profit & government: $500 USD
- Non-profit & self-pay: $300 USD
- On-demand instruction held on-line
- For-profit & government: $200 USD
- Non-profit & self-pay: $100 USD
Additional discounts are available as follows:
- Professional members: 20% discount
- Limited scholarships may also be available for those residing in low-income economies (please inquire).
The necessary software, lecture notes and exercises will be provided.
Live instruction held on-line
On-line/live courses use the WebEx on-line meeting system. Access information will be provided prior to the start of the course. Unless otherwise noted, each lecture begins at 16:00 GMT and runs for about (please inquire), depending on the topics covered.
For those who cannot attend the lectures at those times, the lectures will be recorded and placed on the course website as AVI video files each day, within one day. Students will also be able to communicate with the instructor and other students via the course forums. Lecture attendance is therefore not required.
Since this will be an interactive, hands-on workshop, all attendees will need a computer with a broadband Internet connection (1 Mbps or faster is strongly recommended for those watching the live lecture), a sound card with speakers, a modern Web browser, and Java. A microphone and webcam are not required but may be used.
This course is certified by the Bioinformatics Organization, Inc., the largest international affiliation in the field, and it will count as 2 "Continuing Scientific Education" (CSE) units (one unit per contact hour) within the Organization. Students completing the course will receive a certificate attesting to that.
For any course type, if a student is not satisfied with the conduct or content of a course, they may request a full refund within the first two days of lecture. After two days but within a week, a 50% refund will be granted. After one week, a 100% credit toward another course will be granted. No refunds or credits apply beyond those stated here.
Please contact us for questions or additional information.