Hosting documentation/Project management software
From Bioinformatics.Org Wiki
Bioinformatics.Org uses the SourceForge Alexandria web-based interface to provide an easy-to-use environment for developing bioinformatics-related software and information projects.
- Bug-tracking system
- Task manager
- News system
- Discussion forums
- Public surveys
- File release management
Bioinformatics.Org projects have a wide array of features at their disposal. Access to these features by their members is controlled by the permissions system, which uses a MAC-based (Mandatory Access Control) permissions; administrative control over project features is granted per project feature and per project member.
Permissions exist only for project members and can only be modified by a project administrator. A Bioinformatics.Org member must be added to the project before they may be given project permissions.
Member permissions may be managed as follows:
- Log in to the Bioinformatics.Org website as a project administrator.
- Access the "project summary" page for the project.
- Click on the "member admin" link on the left side of the page.
- Change the permissions as desired.
- Click on the "update member permissions" button.
Permissions may be completely revoked from a project member by removing them from the project.
The permissions system uses the following terms:
- Project admin: A project member who has been granted complete control over the project, and may be speak on behalf of the project
- Feature permissions: Permissions specific to a particular feature, e.g. Tracker, which are issued when a developer need feature access but is not a project admin
- Admin: Can configure a feature and manage feature data
- Technician: Can be assigned items (tasks, tracker items, etc.)
- Moderator: Can manage visibility of message posts (i.e. hide a forum or forum post)