[Bioclusters] gigabit ethernet performance

Farul M. Ghazali bioclusters@bioinformatics.org
Sat, 10 Jul 2004 09:46:28 +0800 (MYT)

On Fri, 9 Jul 2004, Tim Cutts wrote:

> ~30 MB/sec sounds about right to me.  We get 36 MB/sec between our
> AlphaServer ES45 boxes; that's GBit ethernet, and HP StorageWorks HSV
> RAID controllers; there's no way the disk is the limiting factor in our
> set up - we can get about 200 MB/sec on the HSV controllers.  I think
> the low 30's is about what GBit can sustain.

30MB/sec is pretty bad for gigabit if that's the case. I've used netperf
and gotten 70-80MB/sec on my IBM x325s, but I don't have fast enough disks
to really test the system.

Does the switch come into play in this? I've used el-cheapo Netgear
switches and we are looking into geting some demo Foundry swtches to test
out.