[Biodevelopers] what databases are you using?

Patrick McConnell MCCon012 at mc.duke.edu
Thu Jul 11 09:32:46 EDT 2002

I am not sure about perl's XML serialization, but the package that I use
allows for the mapping of Java objects to XML to be arbitrary.  Though it
does take more work on the developer's behalf if a mapping other than the
default is used.  If you are interested, check out EXML by The Mind
Electric.

I agree that the mapping must be language-neutral.  For instance, NCBI's
blast XML format does not map perfectly to Java objects using a default
mapping.  However, there is no doubt in my mind that any XML schema can be
mapped to a Java (or perl, or any other language) object.  Working with XML
in its raw elements is difficult and often unreasonable for many
applications.  Thus, I think this mapping is essential to application
development.  Programmers do not think in XML, they think in objects,
structs, hashes, or whatever.

As to non-optimal, what do you mean?  When I map objects to XML, it is not
as just a place to simply store XML.  It is the relationship between the
documents that is often important (and essential) to the success of the
application.  Without an (indexed) database, these relationships are very
difficult to maintain.  The database itself does not (or should not)
perform any serialization.  A database that stores XML in its native form
is ideal, and this is realized in quite a few XML databases.

To address your concern, I think that if developers work backwards from a
descriptive XML schema to a language-specific object, then the pitful of
settling for the (non-descriptive) default serialization is avoided.  Then
the descriptive power of XML is utilized to its fullest.  However, I have
to admit, when designing a new application for which there are no
predefined XML schema's, I often do settle for the default mapping.  It is
the simplest and fastest solution.

-Patrick

Joe Landman <landman at scientificappliance.com>@bioinformatics.org on
07/11/2002 09:08:33 AM