[Biodevelopers] Proposal for creation of algorithm repository

Malay Kumar Basu curiouser at ccmb.res.in
Wed Mar 12 07:41:08 EST 2003

Hi Group:

I have already posted this message to bionet-software. If this is a
duplicate, I am profusely sorry.

Here what I have to say-

I don't have the necessary resources. But I think time has come that
someone should create an algorithm repository for bioinformaics. Most of
the standard algorithms has matured and several heuristics have been
developed. The time is ripe to put all in one place. It will be a golden
resource for everyone.

The repository should classify the algorithms with their use, e.g.
pattern matching, repeat finder, multiple alignment, pair-wise alignment,
contig-assembly etc.

It should have state-of-the-art implementation of all algorithm, with all
the nesessary heuristics. e.g. only implementation of naive Needleman
Wunch is not enough; it should have all the memory effciency tricks for
real-life implementaion of the algorithm.

The repository should give links to the original papers describing the
algorithm.

The repository should avoid all pseudocode, and should describe all
algorithm in standard language, like C/C++.

The repsiory should also describe which of algorithm is "fairest of them
all".

I think a wiki like interface is best for such a venture.

I am eager to hear from you guys-what do you think of such a project? Is
anyone out there has broad enough shoulder.

Cheers,

Malay