[Molvis-list] Molecular Movies

Eric Martz emartz at microbio.umass.edu
Wed Jun 8 10:11:26 EDT 2005

Dear Clare,

I agree with Tim that Jmol is the best current solution, and a very good
one. Not only does Jmol provide top quality rendering, but it works on a
much wider range of platforms and browsers than does Chime.

Further, I recommend that you construct multiple-model (NMR format) PDB
files to represent the desired transitions, and then generate animation
scripts in Protein Explorer. These scripts, currently adapted to work in
Chime and RasMol, should be adaptable to work in Jmol fairly easily.

The advantage of a Jmol rendering of the movie is that you can rotate it to
see the animation from any perspective. Also it can be provided with
several different color schemes and renderings to highlight different points.

See Chime-based examples and methods at
http://www.umass.edu/microbio/chime/pe/protexpl/morfdoc.htm
(or click on Morphs at ProteinExplorer.Org).

Let me know if I can help.

Regards, -Eric

At 6/8/05, you wrote:
>Dear all,
>
>Apologies if this is a FAQ...
>
>I have been asked by some collaborators of mine, who are protein
>crystallographers, to advise about the best combination of software
>packages for the production of MPG (or similar) movies to show aspects of
>protein structure and function. I have tried several ways of doing this
>over the last few years, but I'm not particularly happy with any of them,
>and I would appreciate any advice from list members. I don't know what
>platforms they use, but I imagine that they will have access to at least
>Linux and Windows, and probably SGI as well.
>
>Thank you very much in advance!
>
>Best wishes,
>
>Dr. Clare Sansom
>c.sansom at mail.cryst.bbk.ac.uk
>Teaching Fellow, Birkbeck College, London, UK
>Freelance computer consultant and science writer

/* - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Eric Martz, Professor Emeritus, Dept Microbiology
U Mass, Amherst -- http://www.umass.edu/molvis/martz

Protein Explorer - 3D Visualization: http://proteinexplorer.org
Workshops: http://www.umass.edu/molvis/workshop
Biochem Structure Tutorials http://MolviZ.org
World Index of Molecular Visualization Resources: http://molvisindex.org
ConSurf - Find Conserved Patches in Proteins: http://consurf.tau.ac.il
Atlas of Macromolecules: http://molvis.sdsc.edu/atlas/atlas.htm
PDB Lite Macromolecule Finder: http://pdblite.org
Molecular Visualization EMail List (molvis-list):