[Molvis-list] Exporting molecular surfaces

Eric Martz emartz at microbio.umass.edu
Thu Jun 9 14:20:48 EDT 2005

At 6/8/05, Bathsheba wrote:
>This is the thing I'musing, whatever it's called:
>http://trantor.bioc.columbia.edu/cgi-bin/GRASS/surfserv_enter.cgi
>
>There's nothing wrong with its surfaces except that they're rather
>coarsely triangulated, so I end up having to smooth and subdivide
>them.  That's not difficult, but it does come at some cost in
>accuracy...I'm sitting here viewing the more finely triangulated
>surfaces that Chime and SPdbV can generate, and wondering if I'm being
>a dope by not seeing any way to export them.

Dear Sheba:

VMD can generate surfaces and export them as stereolithography format.
I believe Tim Herman's group has used it for solid models.
Get it at molvisindex.org under freeware.

Regards, -Eric

/* - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Eric Martz, Professor Emeritus, Dept Microbiology
U Mass, Amherst -- http://www.umass.edu/molvis/martz

Protein Explorer - 3D Visualization: http://proteinexplorer.org
Workshops: http://www.umass.edu/molvis/workshop
Biochem Structure Tutorials http://MolviZ.org
World Index of Molecular Visualization Resources: http://molvisindex.org
ConSurf - Find Conserved Patches in Proteins: http://consurf.tau.ac.il
Atlas of Macromolecules: http://molvis.sdsc.edu/atlas/atlas.htm
PDB Lite Macromolecule Finder: http://pdblite.org
Molecular Visualization EMail List (molvis-list):