Installing FirstGlance in Jmol on Your Server
It is not necessary to install FirstGlance on your server in order
to show molecules in FirstGlance from your website(s):
In unusual cases, it may be desirable to have your own copy of
FirstGlance on your server. For example, your geographic
location might have a consistently slow connection to the main
FirstGlance server, or you might wish to customize
FirstGlance (see license).
Before concluding that you need to install
FirstGlance on your server, check out the
FirstGlance in Jmol Mirror Sites.
Installing FirstGlance in Jmol on your server:
- Familiarize yourself with the Copyright and License.
- Decide which PDB file access methods
you will employ on your server.
- Install and test the Apache rewrite rules on your server if you
decided to use them.
- Download the application files.
You will need to gunzip them (unix:
gzip -d firstglance0.00.tar.gz)
and then untar them (unix:
tar xf firstglance0.00tar).
(The home for the FirstGlance in Jmol project and downloads is
- Configure the application for your installation by editing the
- Copy the application files to your server.
Make the files world readable (unix: Be careful with this! From the directory containing
the application files,
chmod -R o+rX *).
Note that no uppercase characters occur in filenames, with the
exception of the JmolApplet* files.
- Test your installation. Be sure to try every test in the
- We would appreciate knowing about your installation. Our contact
address is below.
Feedback to, or help from,