[BiO BB] help !

Rick Ree rick at bioinformatics.org
Fri Dec 7 13:15:19 EST 2001

The following python code is an implementation of the algorithm you're
looking for:

def add_component(components, c):
    nc = len(components)
    i = 0
    for comp in components:
        if intersects(comp, c):
            components[i] = combine(comp, c)
            if i == nc - 1:  return components
            components[i:] = add_component(components[i+1:], comp)
        i += 1

    if i == nc: components.append(c)

    return components

Here, 'components' is a list of 'supergroups', i.e. lists of objects
(whatever you're grouping), and 'c' is a list you want to add to it.
This function calls 'intersects(a, b)' which should return true if list
a and list b overlap, and 'combine(a, b)' which should return the union
of list a and list b.

E.g.:

supergroups = []  # empty list
for group in groups_to_combine:
    supergroups = add_component(supergroups, group)