[BiO BB] PDB sequence --> coding sequence

Taylor, Deanne Deanne.Taylor at pfizer.com
Thu Feb 15 09:10:29 EST 2001

Iddo:

Apologies if you already know some of this stuff (in advance). :)

My suggestion is to use tblastn.  You can search with your fragment at BLAST
at NCBI; though your fragment may have several intronic sequences removed,
sometimes BLAST can match parts of your protein to different DNA regions.
There are several flavors of BLAST available but you want tblastn. Go to

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/BLAST/

and select "Protein query -- translated db [tblastn]" under the Translated
BLAST searches. tblastn
is for comparing a protein query against a nucleic acid database (the
nucleic acid database sequences are translated into all six reading frames
and then compared to the protein query sequence).

If tblastn doesn't work for you, write back, I might have links to various
other things that might be of use, but none so convenient as a web
interface. :) A good place to look for that kind of thing yourself is
Pedro's bioinformatics tool list:
http://www.public.iastate.edu/~pedro/rt_1.html

Good luck!

Deanne