[BiO BB] Schooling question

Joel Dudley Joel.Dudley at DevelopOnline.com
Tue Jun 19 12:36:29 EDT 2001

Trey -

I am in the same boat as you. I received a degree in Microbiology from
Arizona State and I am currently employed as a UNIX systems
architect/Programmer in Tempe AZ. I have contacted Arizona State in regards
to a masters program in Bioinformatics and the closest thing they had was
bioengineering which focuses more on the kinematics of the human body and
machine-body interfaces. I am more interested in pursuing the programming
aspect, distributed protein modeling software, biological data mining, etc.
I have begun to write some of the software on my own to gain experience, and
the O' Reilly book, "Developing Bioinformatics Computer Skills", is a great
resource.  However I would really like graduate level instruction in
Bioinformatics/Computational Biology. I don't want to leave the state so I
am talking with professors at ASU to get graduate level instruction in
Bioinformatics off the ground. It has been rough going right now but I hope
something will happen if I bother them enough.  I have a great job now, but
bioinformatics is my passion so that's where I have to go, I suggest you do
whatever it takes to follow your passion Trey. Good luck and let me know if
you find a good program.

- Joel Dudley