[BiO BB] How to write Algorithm

John S. J. Anderson jacobs at genehack.org
Mon Sep 24 06:47:16 EDT 2001

Jan-Christoph Westermann <jwester at sgi1.chemie.uni-hamburg.de> writes:

> > I'm very new to the field of bioinformatics. I wanted to become an
> > algorithm expert. Can anybody suggest how should I start from
> > skretch?
>
> What should that algorithm do?
> Try these books:
> Algorithms in C (O'Reilly)

IIRC, that's _Mastering Algorithms with C_; there's also a _Mastering
Algoritms with Perl_.

> Numerical Recipies in C (Cambridge University Press, available free
> in the www)

The canonical "algorithm book" is Knuth's multi-volume _The Art of
Programming_. If you want to become an "algorithm expert", you should
acquire these books (currently three of them), read them cover to
cover, and understand them. This is very non-trivial.

Good luck,

john.
--
genehack.org * weblog == ( bioinfo / linux / opinion / stuff ) * daily *

"Acquire the habit of reading specs and talking to your peers."
	- Per Cederqvist, _Version Management with CVS_