[BiO BB] How to write Algorithms

Philipp Pagel philipp.pagel at cmp.yale.edu
Wed Sep 26 11:40:55 EDT 2001

	Hi!

> The analogy I would like to draw is having all the tools for building a car,
> without ever having seen a car - what is the point ?
>
> Finally, I think all the books suggested are great and I have myself used
> them extensively, so please do not misunderstand my point, which is - Find a
> problem first and then start thinking about how you want to solve it.

Sure - in order to solve a real world problem you want to understand the problem
first (and see the big picture). But I think it's a rather bad idea to find a
computational problem and then start thinking about learning how to programm.
Picking up your car analogy: I wouldn't ask a designer to actually build a car -
i'd much prefer a mechanical engineer to do that job.

Also most computational problems are not entirely novel and it helps a lot to have
reasonable background in common algorithms and techniques in the relevant field.

What I like about bioinformatics is that a lot of knowledge from both biology
and computerscience is required to tackle real problems. Neither of those sciences
alone is up to the task...

cu
	Philipp

--
Dr. Philipp Pagel
Department of Cellular and Molecular Physiology         phone: (203) 785-6835