[BiO BB] whats a haplotype

Dale Beach dbeach at email.unc.edu
Sun Feb 10 15:18:30 EST 2002

Carefull there- geneticists get rather irate when you confuse genotype and
phenoptype.  As a reminder, Genotype is the genetic composition of an
organism.  Phenotype is the outward expression or result of a genotype.
For Mendel's peas as an example the genotypes WW and Ww would both produce
round peas while ww would result in wrinkled peas.  In this case the
dominant W allele masks the presence of a recessive w allele.

The haplotype is the genotype of the haploid or gamete stage of an
organism's lifecycle. For most common animals this is hidden.  Human egg
and sperm do not have thier own lifecycle free of their parents, yet the
gametes certainly have a genotype.  In contrast budding yeast have a
haploid lifecycle where the haplotype can be very important. If the
recessive gene w for instance is required for the cell to live, then any
haploid cell with only the w allele would be dead. If a diplod yeast of
unknown genotype at the W locus is sporulated and dissected in such a way
that each of the 4 resulting spores could be tested, then we could directly
test the genotype of the diploid parent by assaying the haplotype of the
progeny as follows:
	WW - all 4 spores live (W W W W)
	Ww - 2 spores live and 2 spores never grow (W W w w)
	ww - well we didn't need to worry its already dead!

So in effect, when we can directly assay the haplotype we can more directly
and rapidly assess the genotype of a diploid parent. In effect Parthav is
correct, but the reasoning (at least for a geneticist) is much more
resticted then his original post.

I hope that this helps, and isn't too long of a reply.

dale

Dale Beach
Department of Biology
University of North Carolina
Chapel Hill, NC

--On Sunday, February 10, 2002 9:27 AM -0800 Parthav Jailwala