[BiO BB] E-mentors needed for women students

Ann Gelder agelder at mentornet.net
Mon Oct 21 13:43:56 EDT 2002

Dear Friends,

You already know that women are underrepresented in engineering,
mathematics, and science careers. For example, in today's U.S. workforce,
women are just over 9% of the engineers and approximately 30% of the
scientists. Here's something you can do today to help increase those
numbers:

Become an online mentor for MentorNet, the Presidential Award winning E-
Mentoring Network for Women in Engineering and Science! Mentoring is a
proven strategy for increasing the retention rates of women in
engineering, mathematics, and science.

With two weeks left in our recruiting drive, we have a particular need
for mentors in biotechnology and biological science fields. Last year,
students in these fields represented a full 16% of all participating
students, and we are seeing an even stronger demand this year.

Below, you can find out more about the MentorNet program and how to sign
up. And please pass this message along to your friends and colleagues, so
they don't miss out on this great volunteer opportunity!

What is MentorNet?
*MentorNet is an electronic mentoring network. Our award-winning One-on-
One Mentoring Program pairs women engineering and science students with
professionals all over the world. We match community college,
undergraduate, and graduate women with engineers and scientists working
in corporations, national laboratories, and government.

How does it work?
*During the school year, mentors and students communicate by email about
career goals, balancing work and life, course work, and many other topics
of their choice. There's no need for previous mentoring experience:
mentors and students receive topics and training online to ensure a
successful e-mentoring relationship. This is a great way for employees to
receive free training in mentoring and staff development skills.

What other benefits does the program offer?
*MentorNet also offers you the opportunity to take part in an online e-
community which focuses on issues of interest to our mentors and
students. It's a perfect opportunity to expand your own network and to
share your experiences with engineers and scientists worldwide.

What if I don't have much time?
* As an e-mentor, you can make a big difference in a student's life with
a relatively small time commitment. Mentors who participated in last
year's One-on-One Mentoring Program reported spending an average of just
20 minutes per week. Because you communicate entirely by email, you can
write whenever and wherever it's convenient for you.

Who can serve as mentors?
*We encourage applications from both women and men, with an educational
or professional background in engineering, science, or related
technologies, who are currently employed in private industry or
government sectors.

How do I sign up?
* Go to www.MentorNet.net and follow this 2-step process:
1) Join the Community: Click on "Community" and register/sign in as a
new/returning Community member.
2) Apply for the One-on-One Program: Follow the One-on-One Mentoring
Program links to the Mentor section and fill out the application. The
deadline is October 31, 2002.

MentorNet has been growing rapidly since its inception in 1997. Since
then we have paired over 6,500 students with mentors. We hope you will be
one of them!

MentorNet's sponsors include 3M, Alcoa Foundation, AT&T, Elizabeth and
Stephen J. Bechtel Jr. Foundation, Cisco Systems, Engineering Information
Foundation, EMC, Google, IBM, Intel, The International Society for
Optical Engineering, Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory, Lawrence
Berkeley National Laboratory, Los Alamos National Laboratory, Maui
Economic Development Board, Motorola, NASA Ames Research Center, National
Science Foundation, Sandia National Laboratory, SAP Labs, Schlumberger,
University Aviation Administration, U.S. Department of Education's FIPSE,
and U.S. Department of Transportation.