[BiO BB] how to access database remotely

Dan Bolser dmb at mrc-dunn.cam.ac.uk
Wed Dec 31 12:34:38 EST 2003

++ SH Sharma--
> We are a group (5) computer engineering students.We are developing our own
> Sequence retrieval system. We have the following queries. (1) We want to access
> and then search the Genbank or EMBL or Swissprot database. (2) Hence do we need
> any permission.
> (3)If not what is the location or path where the respective repository for
> Genbank, EMBL or swissprot is located.

Hi,
I regularly download SP/TrEMBL sequence databases and parse them into RDB using the
SwissKnife tool. I think this is OK regarding the copyright as I use the database
for research and not industrial app. Please let me know if you find any problems
here.

I would be happy to help develop a PHP interface to the underlying RDB - I like the
'shopping basket' approach to bio data analysis.

Cheers,
Dan.