[BiO BB] How many peptide residues can form a meaningful/functional protein sequence?

Iddo Friedberg idoerg at burnham.org
Tue Feb 11 21:49:58 EST 2003

Hi Jia,

It is actually almost meaningless to infer homology by sequence
identity. You may quite safely infer homology for proteins longer than
80 aa with a >30% pairwise identity, but there are quite a few homologs
with a seqid below that threshold, and for proteins shorter than 80, the
%ID is a bad estimator to homology, even as a rough yardstick. More
sophisticated statistics should be used, like Monte-Carlo simulations of
your alignment procedure. I.e., how good does your alignment score when
compared to the mean of a collection of random alignnment scores for
proteins of the same length and composition?

My favorite is to use blast2 (on NCBI's site) for two peptides. They
work out the statistics quite well.

For further reading look to:

Rost-B,
Twilight zone of protein sequence alignments.
Protein Eng. 1999 Feb;12(2):85-94.

and references therein.

Best,

Iddo