[BiO BB] Is this list moderated?

J.W. Bizzaro jeff at bioinformatics.org
Thu Oct 9 19:56:32 EDT 2003

Hi Eitan.

Posting to the list is restricted to subscribers, but, other than that,
there is no moderation.  Full moderation would require that all posts be
held for approval, which could take hours.  I have even seen moderated
newsgroups hold up posts for a day.

For lists that I have administered in the past and for wich I have
chosen this approach, I have received complaints that it takes too long
to get a post through.  Many people, I have learned, would prefer even
to get spam if it meant getting an answer to a question with expedition.

Besides, it seems several people were willing to answer Milak's
questions.  But, I would agree that "help me with my assignment" and
"give me an idea" posts are irritating.

Cheers.
Jeff

J.W. Bizzaro                                jeff at bioinformatics.org
President, Bioinformatics.Org       http://bioinformatics.org/~jeff
"As we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we
should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention
of ours; and this we should do freely and generously."
                    -- Benjamin Franklin