[BiO BB] overlapping/shadow genes in prokaryotes

Timothy Driscoll molvisions at mac.com
Wed Dec 14 13:41:57 EST 2005

hi,

how prevalent is gene overlap in prokaryote genomes?  not just a few
codons at one end, but large regions of overlap, sometimes as long as
the complete gene.  I have recently begun curating the genome of a
Gram-negative bacteria. I am finding a lot of predicted overlapping
genes (Genemark, Glimmer, RefSeq), often with roughly equivalent
supporting evidence in favor of both genes (Blast hits, RBS, codon
bias, etc.).

I have been told that overlapping genes are uncommon, and never more
than about 30 codons in the overlap. but I am unable to find any data
to support this. can anyone please provide some helpful references?

many thanks,

tim
--
Timothy Driscoll                                em: molvisions at mac.com
molvisions - see. grasp. learn.                 ph: 919-368-2667