[BiO BB] (no subject)

Boris Steipe boris.steipe at utoronto.ca
Wed May 11 08:44:32 EDT 2005

The CA trace is a sequence of lines connecting CA-atom coordinates in a
graphic. Sometimes this is also drawn as a curve that passes through
these coordinates, with various degrees of smoothing. It provides a
useful view of overall folding topology. A protein backbone contains
minimally 3 (N,CA,C) or usually 4 (including O) covalently bonded atoms
of the polypeptide chain. In terms of information this looks very
similar to a CA trace, but if the carbonyl oxygens are included you can
see backbone hydrogen bonding patterns.

MaxSprout will generate full coordinates from CA coordinates.
http://www.ebi.ac.uk/maxsprout/
You can simply remove the sidechains afterwards but I can't begin to
imagine what that would be useful for :-)

Boris