[BiO BB] Starting point EST annotation/grouping

Bossers, Alex Alex.Bossers at wur.nl
Fri Aug 11 02:02:16 EDT 2006

Ahmed,

No I did not use the PHRED/PHRAP/CONSED package for this (I did try it
but found the TGICL suite more appropriate for ESTs).

http://www.tigr.org/tdb/tgi/software/

For basecalling I used a windows platform based caller since PHRED at
that time did not support our used dyes for sequencing.. :(

Thereafter the TGICL basically uses megablast to cluster all sequences
into groups and than assembles it using the cap3 assembler.

Clustering and assembling is always difficult to explain. As far as I
understand the clustering of large groups of sequences speeds up the
second step; assembling. Basically you end up with contigs (having more
than one sequence) or singletons.

With unigene list I mean a list of all different genes present in my
sample of 13k. Like the Gene indices lists of species present at TIGR.
http://www.tigr.org/tdb/tgi/index.shtml

Now the next steps.

Alex

  _____