[BiO BB] New features for hosted projects

J.W. Bizzaro jeff at bioinformatics.org
Thu Feb 9 12:17:44 EST 2006

Greetings,

Bioinformatics.Org is pleased to announce a couple recent additions to the
services offered to projects hosted at Bioinformatics.Org.

1. Subversion (SVN) version control system

Software developers may now use the Subversion version control system on our
servers.  Subversion was developed "to take over the CVS user base," according
to the Subversion website.  "Specifically, we're writing a new version control
system that is very similar to CVS, but fixes many things that are broken."
Here are a few of the advantages of using Subversion over CVS (from the website):

     * Directories, renames, and file meta-data are versioned.
     * Commits are truly atomic.
     * Versioning of symbolic links
     * Efficient handling of binary files

Subversion at Bioinformatics.Org makes use of svnserve over SSH (svn+ssh) for
developer access (anonymous access uses ordinary svnserve).  Instructions on
using Subversion at BiO can be found here:

     http://bioinformatics.org/docs/svn/

We also have the WebSVN interface set up:

     http://bioinformatics.org/websvn/

2. Wiki system for project websites

Bioinformatics.Org will now install a wiki system in project web directories by
default.  If you're not familiar with wikis, you may want to look through this
introduction by Wikipedia:

     http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wiki

Instructions for using wikis and the wiki system are also included with (are
part of) the website.

Some projects are just getting started using their new wikis, so there's not
much content to show at this time, but an example of the system can be seen here:

     http://bioinformatics.org/dnalinux/

More information on Bioinformatics.Org's free group-hosting service can be
found here:

     http://bioinformatics.org/about/hosting.php

If you have any questions or comments, please don't hesitate to ask:

     sysadmins at bioinformatics.org

Cheers,
Jeff
--
J.W. Bizzaro
Bioinformatics Organization, Inc. (Bioinformatics.Org)
E-mail: jeff at bioinformatics.org
Phone:  +1 508 890 8600