[BiO BB] Testing blast, getting "Unable to open BLOSUM62" error?

Theodore H. Smith delete at elfdata.com
Thu Feb 16 20:34:51 EST 2006

Hi Pamela,

copying my files in the data/ directory to the directory that my
custom database is in, did work.

However, your suggestion to use the .ncbirc file made no changes, I
was unable to get that working. This is what I put in my file:

[NCBI]
Data="/usr/blast/data"

[BLAST]
BLASTDB="/usr/blast/dbs"
BLASTMAT="/usr/blast/data"

Removing the quotes made no change.

My blast executables and folders, exist in /usr/blast/ so I have /usr/
blast/blastall as an executable, and /usr/blast/data as a folder
containing BLOSUM files and the rest of the usual blast data.

What now? I'd rather be able to blast into a DB in any directory, if
possible. Especially with custom DB's, because I'm likely to delete
them as they are computer generated experimental DB's.

Or should I always put my custom DBs in my "/usr/blast/dbs" folder
and be done with it?