[BiO BB] Designing degenerate primers

Nagesh Chakka nagesh.chakka at anu.edu.au
Tue Feb 21 21:06:04 EST 2006

Hi all,
I need to design primers to "fish out" the region of interest from
reptilian genomic sequence. I donot have the reptilian gDNA sequence
information to design the primer with exact sequence. Hence I thought of
designing degenerate primers based on the available sequence information
(eutherian mammal, marsupial, amphibian). Are there any available
programs which does this kind of primer design or that I need to perform
a multiple sequence alignment and look for the most conserved region and
design primer with that.
Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Nagesh