[BiO BB] peptide identification tools question

Mike Marchywka marchywka at hotmail.com
Tue Apr 24 11:36:19 EDT 2007

Hi,
I was looking into various issues surrounding 5HT. There seems to be  a lot
confusion on
its role in depression and valvular heart disease among other things. I did
a blast search on
SERT and then tried to make a frequency table of peptide hits using a simple
text processing
script. While line breaks and other artifacts are surely messing up the
details, I did find a couple
of interesting peptides I wanted to investigate. Just out of curiousity,
what tools would I use
to investigate the longer more frequent peptides? I ran a blast search on
LGNVWRFPY  and
tried to use the conserved domain search but the blast search didn't return
anything surprising
and I didn't find anything related in conserved domain results but I wasn't
sure I knew
how to use the output. Are these peptides well known or just likely
artifacts and how
would I tell?  Thanks.
$ cat sert_peptides |more
816 PY