[Bioclusters] resources on administering clusters

Joe Landman bioclusters@bioinformatics.org
26 Mar 2002 10:05:56 -0500

On Tue, 2002-03-26 at 10:15, Andrew Shewmaker wrote:
> Jeff Layton wrote:
>
> >Joe Landman wrote:
> >

> >>First off, spread the swap to as many spindles as you can.  Under Linux,
> >>you can "stripe" swap across multiple partitions.  If you have 4 disks,
> >>then look at the possibility of using 4 equisized partitions (one per
> >>disk) for swap.  This needs to be done at system build time.  Never ever
> >>put all your swap on a single partition.  This is "A Bad Thing(TM)" and
> >>leads to swap-death.
> >>

> >Can you put swap on RAID-0? I've never tried that before.

Not generally recommended.  The swap daemon handles that if you set all
the swap entries in /etc/fstab to pri=0.

[...]

> Set multiple swap partitions to the same priority
>

> /dev/sda2	none	swap	sw,pri=3	0	0
> /dev/sdb2	none	swap	sw,pri=3	0	0
> /dev/sdc2	none	swap	sw,pri=3	0	0
> /dev/sdd2	none	swap	sw,pri=1	0	0

Almost...  Set all the pri=0.  Otherwise swap is not parallelized.  If
one partition is set to pri=1, and the rest set to pri=3, swap will fill
the pri=1 up before attempting to use the pri=3 resources.

--
Joseph Landman, Ph.D.
Senior Scientist,