[Bioclusters] Newbies

Eric Engelhard bioclusters@bioinformatics.org
Mon, 13 May 2002 08:12:43 -0700

Ognen Duzlevski wrote:

> Hi, this is a bit of an unrelated question.
>
> I am a cmpt sci major who developed a multi-threaded version of clustalw
> 1.82 - it runs on multi-cpu anything that runs a posix compliant unix.
> It can be downloaded in source code from
> http://bioinfo.pbi.nrc.ca/clustalw-smp/
>
> It would not be difficult at all to make it cluster-based, a colleague
> of mine did it within a matter of few days for play and testing (not in
> releasable form though), however, to this day I havent got a clue as to
> how widely used is clustalw among bio/bioinformatics community? Would it
> be of _any_ interest to make it cluster based? If so, I just might
> decide to spend that extra time and go that extra mile... :)
>
> Thanks,
> Ognen

Yes, I know I'd use it. Multiple alignment tools, and clustalw/x, is a
heavy lifter for gene discovery.

EBI has a multi-processor version of clustalw behind there web interface
at http://www.ebi.ac.uk/clustalw/ , but I do not know whether it has
been open sourced. I did a quick web search for a clustered version...
and came up with your name, Ogden. :-)

Eric

--
Eric Engelhard - www.cvbig.org - www.sagresdiscovery.com