[Bioclusters] parallel clustalw (was: Newbies)

Ognen Duzlevski bioclusters@bioinformatics.org
13 May 2002 10:30:27 -0600

On Mon, 2002-05-13 at 09:12, Eric Engelhard wrote:
> Yes, I know I'd use it. Multiple alignment tools, and clustalw/x, is a
> heavy lifter for gene discovery.
>
> EBI has a multi-processor version of clustalw behind there web interface
> at http://www.ebi.ac.uk/clustalw/ , but I do not know whether it has
> been open sourced. I did a quick web search for a clustered version...
> and came up with your name, Ogden. :-)

I think there is only one multi-threaded version of clustalw (1.81) - it
is done by SGI and available only in binary form, runs only on SGI IRIX
and their iron. My version was tested on SunOS/solaris, Compaq Tru64,
Linux on ia64, alpha and x86 and on SGI IRIX. Dont have the speed
comparisons between my version and SGI's though.

Thanks,
Ognen