[Bioclusters] download blast db with rsync in uncompressed format

Guy Coates bioclusters@bioinformatics.org
Mon, 1 Dec 2003 17:28:41 +0000 (GMT)

> The problem is this one :
> in fact rsync can't be used at its "best performances" because the databases
> are already compressed. Thus the transmitted data to update a local version
> is very high and could be much lower if using rsync with uncompressed
> databases (by usind the rsync switch to compress data that is being
> transmitted).

One thing to be aware of is that many versions of rsync silently corrupt
files when doing incremental updates on Large Files (>2Gig), or when the
copy is being done cross architecture system.

I'd  checksum your rsynced files with freshly downloaded ones until you
are happy it all works.

Guy Coates

Guy Coates,  Informatics System Group
The Wellcome Trust Sanger Institute, Hinxton, Cambridge, CB10 1SA, UK
Tel: +44 (0)1223 834244 ex 7199