[Bioclusters] Re: Can't run full duplex on the xserve (fwd)

andy law (RI) bioclusters@bioinformatics.org
Mon, 21 Jul 2003 09:51:20 +0100

Don't know if this is helpful or just plain stupid, but are the ifconfig command options case-sensitive.

On my startup script (on a desktop, not an XServe) I have ...

ifconfig en0 media 100baseTX mediaopt full-duplex

(Note the capital 'T' in 100baseTX)

and it works for me.

Don't forget that it needs to go in the startup script or it will reset every time you reboot.

One other thing, what network performance are you getting? Just that if your XServe is half-duplex and the router is trying full-duplex then (in my limited experience) everything will run grindingly slowly whereas if your router is only doing half-duplex then there will be no problem (i.e. do both ends think the connection is half-duplex, or just the XServe?)

Later,

Andy

Yada, yada, yada...

The information contained in this e-mail (including any attachments) is confidential and is intended for the use of the addressee only.   The opinions expressed within this e-mail (including any attachments) are the opinions of the sender and do not necessarily constitute those of Roslin Institute (Edinburgh) ("the Institute") unless specifically stated by a sender who is duly authorised to do so on behalf of the Institute.