[Bioclusters] xraid

Chris Dwan (CCGB) bioclusters@bioinformatics.org
Tue, 22 Jul 2003 13:37:58 -0500 (CDT)

We host the majority of our NFS environment from two XRAID devices,
mounted on a pair of Sun 280Rs running Solaris 8.  Overall, I've been very
impressed by the XRAIDs.  They're solidly constructed, the management
interface is wonderful, and the removable components are all easy to
access.  We connect the XRAIDs directly to the Suns, via Apple's dual port
PCI FC cards.  This isn't explicitly supported, your milage may vary.

I have no idea how the XRAIDs balance load between the two interface
cards, if they do at all.

I love the blue LED "throughput-o-meter" on the front.

> > Does anybody how many servers can you connect to an Xserve RAID without
> > losing too much performance?

Sorry for not really answering the question.  Just an opinion on the
hardware, really.

-Chris Dwan
 CCGB, University of Minnesota