[Bioclusters] what motherboards are people using for dual Athlon boxes?

William Park bioclusters@bioinformatics.org
Thu, 6 Mar 2003 11:43:31 -0500

On Wed, Mar 05, 2003 at 05:54:19PM -0500, Chris Dagdigian wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> Anyone using anything other than Tyan mainboards for dual-AMD cluster
> systems? Anyone with happy/unhappy motherboard related issues with
> AMD-based systems?
>
> I've got a client who is looking at a bunch of vendor proposals for
> 2.8ghz dual-Xeon cluster systems and several for dual Athlon MP2600+
> systems. One vendor is even quoting MP2800+ cpus which do not seem to be
> officially released yet in volume from AMD. heh.

If that's the specs they want from contractors, then you have no choice.
Tyan for dual-AMD, and Tyan/Supermicro/Intel for dual-Xeon.  But, if you
have speaking relationship with the client, perhaps you can convince
them that single-CPU is better route to go, ie. more motherboard choice,
faster cpu, faster development, no memory/cache contention, etc.

--
William Park, Open Geometry Consulting, <opengeometry@yahoo.ca>