blade servers (was Re: [Bioclusters] Any experiences with these guys? reeks)

Tim Cutts bioclusters@bioinformatics.org
Tue, 4 Nov 2003 09:03:26 +0000

On 03-Nov-03, Jeffrey B. Layton wrote:

> Can I ask why you need this? Do you change or access the BIOS
> frequently? (Not criticizing, just inquiring).

Not frequently, but having to do it just once can be real pain.  I have
nearly 200 Pentium IV blades here.  Would you enjoy getting onto the
KVM console of each one individually to configure HyperThreading?
HyperThreading is the one thing where we *do* want to changeit quite
frequently.  For some applications, such as MySQL servers,
HyperThreading helps.  For others it doesn't, so you want to be able to
configure this automatically, without having to mess about with KVM
consoles.

Tim

--
Dr Tim Cutts