blade servers (was Re: [Bioclusters] Any experiences with these guys? reeks)

Chris Pepper bioclusters@bioinformatics.org
Tue, 4 Nov 2003 09:50:46 -0500

At 9:03 AM +0000 2003/11/04, Tim Cutts wrote:
>On 03-Nov-03, Jeffrey B. Layton wrote:
>>
>>  Can I ask why you need this? Do you change or access the BIOS
>>  frequently? (Not criticizing, just inquiring).
>
>Not frequently, but having to do it just once can be real pain.  I have
>nearly 200 Pentium IV blades here.  Would you enjoy getting onto the
>KVM console of each one individually to configure HyperThreading?
>HyperThreading is the one thing where we *do* want to changeit quite
>frequently.  For some applications, such as MySQL servers,
>HyperThreading helps.  For others it doesn't, so you want to be able to
>configure this automatically, without having to mess about with KVM
>consoles.

	Odd, our IBM x345 BIOSes are fully serial-friendly (once it's
turned on), and I assumed the BladeCenters were as well-behaved.

						Chris Pepper
--
Chris Pepper:               <http://www.reppep.com/~pepper/>
Rockefeller University:     <http://www.rockefeller.edu/>