[Bioclusters] Oscar installation

chris dagdigian bioclusters@bioinformatics.org
Wed, 15 Oct 2003 15:52:15 -0400

The Dell linux-poweredge mailing lists were full of tg3 vs bcm5700
driver arguments over the Broadcomm chipset issues. I thought the issue
was resolved before the release of RH 9. Regardless I've not been hands
on with a 1750 chassis recently.

tg3 worked for some people, bcm worked for others and a whole bunch of
people decided that the Dell onboard gigE chipset was absolute junk so
they went out and purchased aftermarket cards from Intel etc.

help you with the driver issue.

I'll spare you my cluster-in-a-box and PBS gripes :)

 From a quick glance at the OSCAR docs it looks as though parts of the
sis/systemimager suite are used to handle the autoinstallation. In
particular it seems that OSCAR uses the system installation suite (SIS).
The SIS URL is http://www.sisuite.org

If so than you are in luck because the systemimager autoinstaller
already has mechanisms in place for downloading and using additional
kernel modules during the network install process. I suspect that you
just need to be bringing down the latest and greatest tg3 module. People
often need this sort of "custom module" functionality to support exotic
or very new disk controllers and network adapters.

I just had a similar situation with a pure SystemImager setup where we
needed to autoinstall onto a server node with a 3Ware storage controller
driving the internal disks. The systemimager 3.x autoinstall kernel that
comes down via the PXE netboot did not see the drives so it bombed out
with lots of errors. Teaching systemimager to download and 'insmod' the
3ware driver was pretty darn easy. Sadly I don't know enough about OSCAR
to tell you which files and directories control the process.

Your best bet (besides other OSCAR users on this list) will be to dive
into the OSCAR documentation -- particularly concentrating on the areas
where it talks about SIS (system installer). There should be
documentation covering the not-all-that-rare case where people need to
use custom kernel modules during the autoinstall process to drive their
specific hardware configuration.

-Chris

--
Chris Dagdigian, <dag@sonsorol.org>
Independent life science IT & informatics consulting