[Bioclusters] gridMathematica and bioinformatics

Andrew A. de Laix bioclusters@bioinformatics.org
Fri, 24 Oct 2003 09:20:13 -0700

Andy,
	Below I quote one of our gridMathematica developers about your
problem.  I hope this satisfactorily answers your question, but if it
doesn't, please let me know.  I might be able to arrange a meeting between
you and one of our engineers if it would help you to get more out of
gridMathematica.  If you would like that, please let me know who the
official owner of the software is and I will see what I can do.

Andrew

Andrew A. de Laix, PhD
Business Development Manager
Wolfram Research, Inc.
phone: 510-655-5806
email: delaix@wolfram.com
web: http://www.wolfram.com

Quote:

"One easy way around this problem for a cluster administrator is to
provide an init.m file with:

RemoteMachine[ <MachineName>, <ExternalLaunchCommand> ]

definitions. This way the users of the cluster do not really have to
know anything, except:

LaunchSlaves[]      -- Would launch all slaves in the list
$AvailableMachines
LaunchSlaves[ {m1, ..., mk} ]
                    -- Would launch the slaves m1 through mk. Each of
which are RemoteMachine definitions.

One can also make this dynamic, if there is some server to query for
available machines.

Different clusters use different mechanisms to launch a new job and
schedule a new job. With gridMathematica you don't really want a
scheduler involved at all, since most "job" schedulers assume that the
process will end. This is not the model used by gridMathematica. Here
you launch a remote Mathematica, which you do not shut down until your
whole program is done. A job within the gridMathematica framework is an
expression to be evaluated. So in effect each running Mathematica is
like a processor or computer in the system. And most clusters cannot
virtualize enough resources to move this process around, e.g. IP
addresses typically are not virtualized."