[Bioclusters] Opteron 248 HEating Issues

Michael Hanulec bioclusters@bioinformatics.org
Thu, 5 Aug 2004 21:56:58 -0400 (EDT)

Hi..

[ Disclaimer: I work for a 'white box' cluster vendor called Western
Scientific. ]

There are no specific heating problems w/ Opteron Series 200, even the 250
model.  The problem this vendor might be having is w/ the temperature of
the processor closest to the i/o ports on the motherboard.  In poorly
designed server enclosures there are significant temperature differences
between the two processors.

Heat dissipation problems have also been seen by customers using certain
vendors products who have too dense of a server solution with out
sufficient processor cooling (either blade or 1U... especially with 4
processor motherboards).

If you would like to discuss this potential problem in further detail
please contact me off list.

-Mike

--
hanulec@hanulec.com		cell: 858.518.2647 && 516.410.4478