[Bioclusters] hardware pics: Apple Xserve G5 (both configs) side by side with G5 towers

Chris Dagdigian bioclusters@bioinformatics.org
Mon, 16 Feb 2004 14:43:01 -0500

What can I say? I'm an infrastructure geek at heart.

Anyway -- we finally got our hands on some 1U Apple G5 Xserve hardware.
One of the standard Xserve G5 units plus one of the special "compute
node" configurations that sacrifices 2x drive bays and the optical drive
to bring the hardware price down lower.

I pulled them out of our lab  along with the pair of G5 towers and took
some side by side pictures. Once I saw how huge the CPU/heatsink combo
is in the tower chassis I was amazed that Apple was even able to
consider making a 1U variant.

Picture gallery URL is here:

http://bioteam.net/gallery/G5xserve

Regards,
Chris

--
Chris Dagdigian, <dag@sonsorol.org>
BioTeam  - Independent life science IT & informatics consulting