[Bioclusters] Large numbers of files (again...?)

Dan Bolser bioclusters@bioinformatics.org
Wed, 28 Jan 2004 15:59:52 -0000 (GMT)

++ Joe Landman--
> Hi Dan:
>
>   If it is a chore to have them switch, then the hashing function is a
> much better choice.  I am not so sure about trusting real data to
> Reiser, I have been (badly) burned by it in the past.

I know Reiser and xfs are still very new.

Anyone actively using xfs?

I guess switch involves reformatting disks? Actually we have a large storage space
yet to come 'on line'. It might be a good chance to try xfs.

This reminds me, previously we have been using ext3 + raid + NFS, and for a while we
were having some problems with this setup and we were wondering if the above
combination was at fault.

Can I ask what / how people set up file server space?

Actually it is a big problem for us - we have no disk use / backup policy yet.

Sorry if this a converstion you have already had - anyone provide a google interface
to list archives?

Thanks very much for any feedback you can give, and thanks again for previous help,

Cheers,
Dan.