[Bioclusters] Ethernet Performance

Chen Peng bioclusters@bioinformatics.org
Tue, 13 Jul 2004 10:00:49 +0800

--Apple-Mail-12--292299884

This seems to be an interesting software.

We in TLL implemented a similar solution for parallel data
synchronization, but your statistics is really surprising to us. For a
gigabit ethernet, the switch can handle at most 100MB/s (~=1000mbps) in
theory. How can it achieve 709MB/s with PCP?

--
Chen Peng <chenpeng@tll.org.sg>
Senior System Engineer
On 12-Jul-04, at PM 11:36, Rene Storm wrote:

> Hi Bioclusters,
>
> maybe
> http://www.theether.org/pcp/
> is a solution for you.
> It's very good for distributing files to a whole cluster.
>
> copy a testfile (1GB) from one frontend to 32 Nodes with gigaethernet
> (e1000)
> real    0m46.179s
> datasize 32x1024MB
> -------------------------
> ~ 709 MB/sec
>
> copy a testfile (1GB) from one frontend to 32 Nodes with myrinet2k
> real    0m23.202s
> datasize 32x1024MB
> -------------------------
> ~1423 MB/sec
>
> With pcp it is important to have a real good gigabit backplane or if
> you got
> an even better a full-crossbar myrinet switch.
>
> Overview
> pcp is a system for replicating files on multiple nodes of a PC
> cluster.
> Replication is done by building an n-ary tree of TCP sockets and using
> parallelized, pipelined data transfers which use RSA authentication.
> For
> large file transfers or replication on many nodes, pcp provides highly
> efficient data transfers when compared to existing alternatives (e.g.,
> NFS).
> --
>
> Regards,
>
> Rene Storm
> emplics AG

> --
> believed to be clean.

--Apple-Mail-12--292299884

This seems to be an interesting software.

We in TLL implemented a similar solution for parallel data
synchronization, but your statistics is really surprising to us. For a
gigabit ethernet, the switch can handle at most 100MB/s (~=1000mbps)
in theory. How can it achieve 709MB/s with PCP?

<fixed>--

Chen Peng <<chenpeng@tll.org.sg>

Senior System Engineer

Temasek Life Sciences Laboratory</fixed>