[Bioclusters] Ethernet Performance

Joe Landman bioclusters@bioinformatics.org
Mon, 12 Jul 2004 23:11:10 -0400

PCP and similar codes build tree structures out of their connections.
Each node in the tree has an incoming connection to its parent, and
outgoing connections (2 or possibly more) to neighbors.  Each bucket
(not packet, but container of data), is moved along the tree, stored at
a node, and retransmitted to its leaves (if any).  This code and similar
codes effectively diffuse the data to the edges of the tree.

If you measure the total amount of data moved to the nodes of the
network, and divide by the total transfer (or diffusion) time, you will
get the transfer rate.  This rate increases as the size of the network
increases.  At some point, the rate of data transfer may become
comparible to the switch backplane bandwidth( the amount of data you can
push through the switch per unit time).

 Joe

--
Joseph Landman, Ph.D