[Bioclusters] Opterons and Linux

Jeremy Mann bioclusters@bioinformatics.org
Mon, 19 Jul 2004 08:18:23 -0500 (CDT)

I'm curious if there are people on this list that use dual Opterons for
their processing. We are in the process of trying to purchase several dual
Opterons to replace our aging P3 cluster and we have a few questions
regarding the upgrade.

First, do you know if the opteron kernel will allow larger memory for user
space in 64bit mode that just 4 GB?  We have two dual Xeon's with 4gb of
memory which we could never get more than 3.5 GB recognized by the 2.4
kernel.

Second, regrading power and heat, what steps have you taken to remedy the
heat generated by the Opterons and what kind of electrical upgrades have
you done? We have a VA Linux rack with about 20U's left which will house
the Opterons. It has 2 220 volt power rails (we only use one) that
delivers power to a 4U APC (I forget the model number) unit, a 4U quad
Xeon server, 2 switches and a 4U RAID array.

Thanks for any suggestions you may provide.

--
Jeremy Mann
jeremy@biochem.uthscsa.edu

Bioinformatics Core Facility