[Bioclusters] Any issues porting applications to OS X?

Chris Dagdigian bioclusters@bioinformatics.org
Fri, 05 Mar 2004 11:21:16 -0500

For apps where source code is available OS X has been generally very
easy to deal with.

There are, however, commercial apps that are released binary only for
Linux (and usually only certain flavors of Linux). Two companies who
sell Linux products into the informatics, chemistry or molecular
modeling spaces are Schrodinger and Accelrys but I'm sure people can
come up with more concrete example.

My personal feeling right now (probably at odds with my partners maybe
:) is that Linux on X86 or X86_64 is a better generic or
widest-possible-utility computing platform.

The decision to go with an alternative (UltraSparc, G5, whatever...)
should be based on actual benchmarks or local documented need.

Apple OS X clusters make sense for two distinct groups IMHO:

1. People who have real benchmarks that show G5/darwin as being the
best/fastest platform for the apps that they most care about. There are
a number of these as the G5 platform is really really slick.

2. People who like OS X, have lots of inhouse experience and prefer for
operational overhead to manage their cluster(s) using the same
technology and tools they already use inhouse.

Yellowdog Linux on G5 is a strange one. Probably best for people who
have a known set of apps that run really fast on G5 and don't want or
like Panther. I would not recommend this approach for people wanting a
general purpose platform -- stick with Panther on the G5 unless you have
a very specific reason not to.

Linux vs Apple cluster managability is a red herring -- both are easy to
do. Apple's OS X server OS ships with a number of tools that make
managment pretty easy. Linux has the same capabilities through the base
OS itself or via open source tools.

We generally have various bits of Apple kit floating through our
office/lab at any given time. The G5 Xserves have been shipped back
sadly but we still have dual-G5 towers running Panther.

On a case by case basis we may be able give SSH login access to a G5
system to people who are investigating porting or benchmarking issues.
Feel free to drop me a line privately if this would be of assistance.

-Chris
bioteam